[IPython-dev] Less metadata for inspect_request messages?

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 13:50:42 EDT 2014

On 24 October 2014 10:35, Carlos Córdoba <ccordoba12 at gmail.com> wrote:

> and 'data' contains contains just the docstring but without all the rich
> information it was exposed before.
>
> Is it possible that you guys expose this metadata again?

Doubtful. We deliberately discarded the structured info because the fields
were very Python specific (and in some cases, IPython specific, like
ismagic), and trying to generalise them for different languages would have
been a nightmare. So we decided to just send back a mimebundle of
unstructured information.

On the plus side, it would now be feasible to do something with Sphinx on
the kernel side and produce an HTML representation which gets sent in the
mimebundle.

Thomas