[IPython-dev] Console ipython - multi-line history editing

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 16:22:34 EDT 2014

On 22 October 2014 21:02, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 October 2014 20:39, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's probably why it was disabled on Windows in the first place. If you
>> haven't already, try with the pyreadline-ais fork - the things it says it
>> has implemented may be relevant here.
>
> Nope, unfortunately not. The changes didn't indicate anything that
> might be relevant, and I just tested and indeed it has the same issue.

https://github.com/pyreadline/pyreadline/issues/31

One oddity. It appears that within a session with
--TerminalInteractiveShell.multiline_history=True, up arrow recalls
history line by line, not multi-line. But exiting and restarting
*does* get the multi-line history. I'm not sure why this happens or if
it's an IPython issue or setting. It doesn't happen on Unix, and I
can't see anything obvious in IPython, so I suspect pyreadline again,
but I'm not certain.

Paul