[IPython-dev] Possible to run Octave in IPython without %%octave ?

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 05:10:23 EDT 2014

Hi Daniel,

Le 19 oct. 2014 à 10:16, Daniel Carrera <dcarrera at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I teach a very short course on MATLAB for astronomy students (6 hours). This year I am thinking of replacing my usual Impress slides with an IPython notebook running Octave. Yesterday I got Octave running in IPython and it seems to work.
>
> Is it possible to make an IPython profile that loads oct2py and treats every cell as if it had "%%octave -f svg" on the first line?

I would suggest looking at IOctave (Octave Kernel of IPython)

https://github.com/blink1073/octave_kernel

And generally look as https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/Projects-using-IPython

> This isn't a critical issue, but I think the notebook would look nicer this way. The students will not use the notebook themselves. This is just to to make my presentation a little more lively instead of just showing static code on a slide.

I would suggest having a look at Damian Avila Live reveal mode also to do your presentation:

https://github.com/damianavila/live_reveal

Matthias