[IPython-dev] Nbparameterise: simple forms for notebook input

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 14:02:02 EDT 2014

Thanks Ian - conda-launch was one of a few projects that prompted me to
work on this. In particular, great though conda is, I don't think creating
forms and executing notebooks should be tied to a particular packaging
system.

Looking through the description of conda-launch, I think what I want to
think about most is the different ways of describing the input parameters.
Conda-launch uses JSON metadata that is potentially more flexible, but very
distinct from the normal workflow of writing a notebook. Nbparameterise
currently looks for an initial "definitions cell", which is less
extensible, but very natural for the notebook author. Part of me wants to
generalise nbparameterise to handle all possible ways of describing inputs,
but another part of me wants to hammer out a common way of doing this, so
notebook authors don't have to learn different things for different
systems. I'll keep thinking about it.

Best wishes,
Thomas