[IPython-dev] interacting with ipython kernels from c++

Nicholas Bollweg nick.bollweg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 21:36:23 EST 2014

This topic just came up in discussion with one of my colleagues:
specifically, the widget framework is actually a very good way to provide
an arbitrary, evented API for a run-time instance.

Imagine being able to connect to a running kernel _from_ a running kernel,
and programmatically interact with widgets: from within a notebook, restore
a snapshotted docker instance, of _some kernel_. One could ask, "what
widgets do you have?" It says back, "I have a button, two float sliders and
an output float." slide, slide, click: when the output is populated, the
run is "done".

This allows building very "human" APIs for potentially quite complicated
environments.