[IPython-dev] Authentication / Access Control

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 10:16:01 EST 2014

On 6 November 2014 15:55, William Stein <wstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know you're not going to use SageMathCloud, but for the benefit of
> other people, is there any chance you can tell me which aspects of
> SageMathCloud you found to be too slow, so that I can prioritize
> fixing it?   There's so many possible things you're referring to, that
> I don't even know where to begin.   E.g., do you mean processor speed,
> RAM, speed when actually using IPython, time to open an IPython
> notebook, time to open a project, time to upload a file, time to
> download a file, etc.?

First of all, thank you for making SageMathCloud. I do think it is a great
service.

Let's see... I just went to my account and clicked on my project. Then I
waited 15s for the project to load. After that, navigating through the
directories was fast. Then I clicked on a notebook and that took 19s to
load. The behaviour of the notebook itself varies a lot. Right now it is
fast and it feels nice. But at other times when I press "Shift-Enter" I
would just wait and nothing would happen. Some times it would eventually
work, and some times I would have to go back to the cell and press
"Shift-Enter" again. A couple of times I decided to restart the kernel.

> The design of SageMathCloud involves multiple levels of redundancy and
> high availability, where code can potentially run in any of several
> different data centers.  I've generally opted for safety and
> availability over speed in the implementation -- first making sure
> people always have access to their data, even when servers fail, and
> only then making that access faster.
>
>  -- William

That is quite reasonable. Slow and working is always better than fast and
broken.

Cheers,
Daniel.