[IPython-dev] Authentication / Access Control

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 03:50:02 EST 2014

Hello,

Last Tuesday I had my first experience using the IPython notebook to in the
classroom, and it was great. I teach a brief "Matlab for Astronomers"
course and this year I used an IPython notebook with the Octave backend.

I think that the next step may be to run a public IPython server where my
students make their own notebooks. The problem is that, AFAICT, IPython
only offers a single password authentication. So I cannot see an obvious
way for each student to have his or her own notebook. I am aware of Sage
Math Cloud, and I commend the authors for it, but I think that it is too
slow.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Has anyone else encountered a similar
problem? If so, what did you do? How did you get the notebooks to your
students? This isn't a critical feature for me, but I would be interested
to know if there are any solutions.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that
means it's not fun to do.