[IPython-dev] notebook hangs with latest master

Zoltán Vörös zvoros at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 05:23:05 EST 2014

Hi all,

I have checked out the latest code from the master branch, and run into
two problems.

The first is that the notebook frontend hangs, when I try to load older
(meaning 2 days old) notebooks. The bullet on the top right hand side
stays solid, instead of turning empty. At that point, nothing can be
done with the client, it does not respond to anything, and the notebook
is not reported in the "Running" tab of the dashboard. The problem
persists even, if I make the notebook trusted on the command line.

The other problem is a rendering issue: when I create a new notebook
(this can be done without problems, and then the results can be loaded
later), and I execute, say, 3*3, I get $$9$$ in the output. This
happens, when I run the the server with the ipython configuration file
that I attached.  Is this an issue in the kernel as such, or something
in the sympyprinting extension?

These issues don't seem to be related to the browser, or the browser
history: I have cleared the cache, and tried to run the notebooks in
chrome and firefox. I have also run

 > python setup.py submodule

Since that didn't work, I removed the whole git folder, and cloned the
content again. That didn't help either. I still get an

/> running css
/>/
/>/  Failed to build css sourcemaps: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
/>/  checking package data/

error, when trying to build. Last time Matthias suggested python
setup.py submodule, and that solved the problem, but not now.

What I also noticed is that the old notebooks have the header

{
  "metadata": {
   "name": "",
   "signature":
"sha256:166a240702e584a760e43c90f3d1422154ca5aec932554de10f4922aaa1e517a"
  },
  "nbformat": 3,
  "nbformat_minor": 0,
  "worksheets": [

while the new ones are bare; they kick out like this:

{
  "cells": [
   {
    "cell_type": "code",
    "execution_count": 1,
    "metadata": {
     "collapsed": false
    },
    "outputs": [

and the metadata is moved to the end of the file, and the "worksheet"
dictionary entry is removed. I wonder, whether some of the problems are
related to a change in the notebook format.

One more thing: in the toolbar, the dropdown menu for the cell type
contains only code, raw, and markdown, but all the headings are gone. Is
this on purpose? That would be quite bad. But this might be related to
the failed css build.

Does someone else have the same difficulties, or something is messed up
on my side?

Cheers,
Zoltán