[IPython-dev] Sourcing a javascript file from a notebook, and writing local javascript

Andrew Gibiansky andrew.gibiansky at gmail.com
Sat May 31 12:41:23 EDT 2014

I'm not an IPython dev, but I *believe* that embedding JS into a Markdown
cell has indeed been deprecated, for security reasons. I now experiment by
putting things in custom.js.

Code in custom.js I think has all the privileges that normal Javascript
has, so you should be free to load external files and scripts. You can
include your own JS files using require.js:

require(['/static/custom/my_file.js']);

In a similar way you should be able to load foreign JS files, I think; I
don't know require.js very well though. You could probably also just append
a <script> tag to the DOM with a proper src attribute :)

-- Andrew Gibiansky