[IPython-dev] IPython-dev Digest, Vol 122, Issue 46

Alessandro Gagliardi alessandro.gagliardi at glassdoor.com
Fri Mar 21 13:40:28 EDT 2014

I’m personally of the opinion that, all else being equal, it’s best to have the students run IPython Notebook locally. It does take time, which may be perceived as “wasted” by students, but getting your tools working on your computer is a prerequisite to doing anything, and better that students suffer through that with the help of teachers and colleagues to help them debug than on their own.

That said, if you don’t want to deal with such issues, Wakari might work for you. The main thing I’m interested in is getting the notebooks to talk to each other (or at least, to the instructor’s and TAs’) which might mean hosting them all on one server.

Here’s a thought: I wonder if it would be possible to use IPython.parallel to get a direct view into the student’s namespaces. We could tell the students to use certain variable names and then use the DirectView.gather to get the results and see how they compare. The objects could then be anything pickle-able.