[IPython-dev] shortcuts for adding/deleting cells

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 15:27:29 EDT 2014

On 13 March 2014 12:20, Abhishek Pratap <apratap at sagebase.org> wrote:

> For example:
> in the (command mode with grey cell)
>
> CTRL + a doesnt insert a new cell

It's not Ctrl-a, it's just a. When you're in command mode, most of the
keyboard shortcuts are single keys pressed by themselves, like gmail
keyboard shortcuts. The reason we've done this is because almost all Ctrl
shortcuts are already used for something by the browser, and we don't want
to conflict with them.

> Also once I convert the cell to a markdown type the it doesn't get
> displayed as a markdown.
> example attached

Do any of the same things you would do to execute a code cell - press
shift-enter or click the run button in the toolbar. This will render your
markdown. Again, it's deliberate that you can leave a markdown cell without
rendering it.

> I think a video on new features and how to use them would be very
helpful.

Thanks, we'll think about that.

Thomas