[IPython-dev] IPython 2.0.0-b1

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 18:50:06 EST 2014

Hi all,

We are excited to announce the first beta release of IPython 2.0.0. We
would very much appreciate your help ironing it out before the final
release in a few weeks. We still have a few bugs and lots of documentation
we plan to get to before release, but it should be feature complete.

Give it a try: http://archive.ipython.org/testing/2.0.0/

A quick summary of
changes<http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/2/whatsnew/development.html>

Major new features:

   - New modal UI in the notebook (check out the UI Tour in the Help Menu)
   - New Interactive Widgets (you can check out the
tutorial<http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/ipython/ipython/blob/master/examples/widgets/index.ipynb>on
nbviewer, but they really have to be tested interactively to see how
   cool they are.
   - Filesystem navigation from the dashboard (no more uuid urls)
   - single Python 2 / Python 3 codebase (no more 2to3)
   - Some notebook security. We will post a more detailed writeup of this
   one soon.

This is the first release of IPython to try the wheel binary format, which
is a much smaller download and faster to install, so if you have any issues
with the wheel, do let us know.

-MinRK