[IPython-dev] nbconvert on Scientific Linux 5

Jon Wilson jsw at fnal.gov
Sun Jun 29 01:04:06 EDT 2014

Hi Aaron,
I solved that problem.  The issue was that cipher-aes uses the AESNI
instruction set, but the CPUs in the machine I'm on predate that
instruction set.  Luckily there was a C flag that I could unset in order
to force the use of a software-only implementation.

The question of AES crypto as a dependency of pandoc is symptomatic of
what is my growing opinion of Haskell packages: insufficient
modularity.  Haskell-platform won't build unmodified without OpenGL, yet
there are many things one might want to do with Haskell that work fine
without OpenGL.  Similarly, pandoc doesn't use crypto, but its build
fails if unrelated packages won't build.  Quite frustrating.

Now my problem is with the builtin regex library, which complains of
undefined symbols at the linker stage.  I thought that it couldn't find
the PCRE C library, but that is apparently not the case.  I found an
issue on github, so we'll see if any solutions are forthcoming from the
developer.
Regards,
Jon