[IPython-dev] New(ish) IPython Notebook RPMs for Fedora 20?

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 18 08:36:13 EDT 2014

> Currently, Fedora 20 provides packages
> python3-ipython-notebook-0.13.2-3.fc20.noarch
> python-ipython-notebook-0.13.2-3.fc20.noarch
>
> [snip]

> So, my question is:
> Is there a RPM of IPython Notebook (preferably for Python3) that is
> compatible with Fedora 20 and has the slides functionality?
>
> Alternatively, is there a "quick and dirty" way around this (for
> example, replacing one or two RPM-installed files that will be
> automatically substituted once the new RPMs become available)?

As I'm also on f20, I created a copr repository at [1], which currently
contains the ipython from rawhide and python-tornado-3.X as the "quick and
dirty" way. Just put the repo file to /etc/yum.repo.d/ and you should be
able to update to it.
But be aware of the possible drawbacks:
It is forbidden to push a new ipython to f20, because we might break
packages that rely on the old ipython, because of the major version update
(see [2]).
As you are doing exactly that with the copr packages, you might break other
packages, that depend on  ipython/tornado, such as accerciser, sagemath,
python-ipdb, eclipse-pydev, to name a few..

If you don't use other packages that rely on a specific version of
ipython/tornado, the copr repository should work just fine.
Let me know, if you have troubles with it.

Greetings,
    Thomas

[1] http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/tomspur/ipython/
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#All_other_updates