[IPython-dev] Announcement: Set of IPython Notebooks to learn Python for Exploratory Computing

Greg Wilson gvwilson at third-bit.com
Thu Jul 31 21:39:47 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Greg Wilson <gvwilson at third-bit.com
<mailto:gvwilson at third-bit.com>> wrote:

    During our sprint last week, Rémi Emonet and Raniere Silva started
    exploring the idea of using off-the-shelf package managers to manage
    lesson material [1,2] so that something like:

    $ conda install barba-12-steps-navier-stokes

    will do what it should.  I'm really excited by the idea, and hope to
    put some time into it once September rolls around - if people are
    interested, I'll send a note to this list once work gets under way.

On 2014-07-31 7:01 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:
> Please do so! I've been thinking lately a lot along those lines as
> well, the 'code and data (up to some size limits) as a package'. I
> think there's a lot of potential in that line of thinking, and we may
> be able to leverage a lot of existing technology to make it easier to
> reuse bundles of material that focus on a specific teaching or
> research context, making both education and reproducible research easier.
Yeah - what I *actually* want to be able to do is:

$ conda install doi://10.1371/journal.pone.0103452

and get the source of the paper, the code, the libraries the code
depends on (in a safely sandboxed environment), and either the data or
links to the data (or torrent files for the data).  Lessons are then
just a special case...

Thanks,
Greg