[IPython-dev] IPython goes crazy when redirecting stdout on windows

Robert Gomulka r.gom1977 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 09:16:57 EDT 2014

Hi all,
I've recently performed several updates on my Windows machine.
After that, when I redirect sys.stdout readline stops working and command
line prompt (in cmd.exe or conemu) starts printing raw characters instead
of interpreting ANSI codes:

C:\git\CTTrunk8>ipython
Python 2.7.8 (default, Jun 30 2014, 16:03:49) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

In [1]: print "xxx"
xxx

In [2]: import stdout_tst

☺☻In [☺☻3☺☻]: ☺☻print "yyy"
yyy

(stdout_tst redirects output to file and old stdout).

How could I narrow down the reason (offending package/change)?
I'd appreciate your help.

Regards,
Robert