[IPython-dev] Memory consumption of running notebook

Andrew Payne andy at payne.org
Thu Jul 17 13:31:42 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:48 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this should mostly be in the server, not the kernel - it's
> something that would be useful for all kernels, but there's no need to
> reimplement it in each language.
>
> What could be useful in the kernel is a way to discover what objects are
> using most memory.

This is the original direction I was thinking (sharing kernel-specific
things, like object memory usage, GC issues, threads, resource leaks, etc.)

But now that I think about it, that can probably be done with a
kernel-specific widget that you can put somewhere in your notebook just
like any other widget/cell.  If I can get some free cycles over the next
few days, I will try to prototype something up.

-andy