[IPython-dev] Getting the size of ipython notebook cell

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 15:37:51 EDT 2014

Hi Benjamin,
Le 7 juil. 2014 à 21:27, bjonen a écrit :

> Hey giuys,
>
> I am working on a patch for pandas that allows a dataframe's string
> representation to scale with the height and width of the terminal.
> It would be nice to make this possible in the ipython notebook also.
> However, for this I would need a way to infer the current size of a cell in
> the notebook to cut the dataframe appropriately.
>
> Anybody know a way to do this?

To add to thomas answer :

As for anythings related to knowing something related to the frontend, it is not possible
with IPython protocol.

	- The kernel does not know is is connected to a notebook.
	- The notebook can be run headless (width make no sense)
	- several notebook can window can be connected at the same give with live sync between them (so width not unique)
	[ might be anticipating tomorrow (today?) announcement as scipy]
	- Window can be resized ....
 	- notebook displayed in nbviewer

And so on, and so forth.

The only thing you can try to if you want dynamic things is to use dynamic table with javascript/html.