[IPython-dev] Spell check with the new modal input?

mcburton mcburton at umich.edu
Wed Jan 29 09:16:33 EST 2014

Spellchecking with Codemirror is a big issue for other projects as well.
The Ghost blogging platform <https://ghost.org/> is wrestling with the same
issue. I believe their proposed solution is to implement their own editor.
I think someone has also brewed up a Chrome extension for Ghost that works
similar to the one Damián made (thanks Damián!).

Creating a new editor doesn't seem to make sense here and I'm pretty sure
the IPython team has their hands full without implementing a new code/text
editor (although it would be interesting to consider different editors for
different kinds of cells).

I have heard of some people building spellcheck into Codemirror using
typo.js <https://github.com/cfinke/Typo.js>. There is a Stackoverflow
thread about it
here<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12343922/codemirror-with-spell-checker>.
There are issues with typo.js (limited dictionaries, no unicode), which
have been discussed on
Github<https://github.com/marijnh/CodeMirror/issues/1017>.
So sadly it seems like there is no easy solution. :/ Classic case of
technical debt everyone must carry.

--
mcb