[IPython-dev] Please read: IPython Notebook UI goes modal

Zoltán Vörös zvoros at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 03:28:52 EST 2014

Hi Brian,

This is an exciting development, kudos to all who pulled this off! First
I was a bit worried about the changes, but the interface is really
convenient.

There are a couple of comments/remarks that I would like to make.

1. Interrupting/restarting the kernel doesn't require modifiers. I
understand that there is a pop-up window asking for confirmation, but
wouldn't it be better to have Cntr+. and Cntr+i for this action, and
then skip the pop-up window?

2. In the example notebook, Cntr+/ is not listed as a shortcut for
commenting out lines, but it is still available. That won't be removed,
will that?

3. Selecting the previous/next cell has now two shortcuts, up/down and
j/k. About a year ago, we had a discussion about navigation in the
kernel history, and the problem that time was that we couldn't find two
keyboard keys that would work on all OSs. (Here is the link:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/2203) Since the modal structure
effective increases the number of available keys, I was wondering,
whether it would make sense to return this question now. One could then
assign j/k to history navigation, and the up/down arrows could navigate
in the notebook. I can look into the implementation, if that's OK.

Cheers,
Zoltán