[IPython-dev] git(hub) best practices

Tiago Antao tra at popgen.net
Fri Feb 28 07:23:16 EST 2014

Dear all,

First just a strong word of appreciation for all the work on ipython
notebook. It is the best thing since sliced bread, and I am one of
those people that spends most of his day working inside ipython
notebook and that normally griefs for any period spent outside it. You
did an amazing job!

I am writing to inquire if there are any github best practices,
especially with regards to notebook size.

The issue is that in the typical work/commit/work/commit loop,
notebook diffs tend to be quite large if one is using charts
(matplotlib ones in my case). The Base64 encoding is quite big (as it
would be expected of course).

In the interests of reducing the load on github I oftentimes wonder if
there is a more efficient way to maintain a tight work/commit cycle
while not imposing so much disk usage on the host?

Any ideas would be most welcome...

Best,
Tiago
PS - Again, my sincere thanks for this wonderful tool...