[IPython-dev] Installing kernels and libs under a virtual env

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 16:31:45 EST 2014

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think that if "python setup.py install --user" under a venv went to
>>> the virtual env's local, then everything would be fine. But maybe I'm doing
>>> something wrong (need to use pip?).
>>

>> The issue is that the list of targets is hardcoded here:
>>

>> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/IPython/kernel/kernelspec.py#L21
>>
>> that code isn't currently aware in any way of virtualenvs.
>>
>> I'm fuzzy on the details of how we ended up deciding we'd interact with
>> venvs, other than saying that we'll try to bake as little knowledge of
>> 'environment managers' (venv, conda, etc) directly into our kernel
>> installation tools directly.  That discussion has lots of subtly
>> interacting moving parts, and I'm afraid to say something misleading right
>> now.
>>
>> Min and Thomas were deep in those details, and I'd wait for further
>> feedback from them (or anyone else who remembers well).  But in the
>> meantime, you may want to play with that code in a local copy: you may find
>> a minimally intrusive improvement for venv support that could be a good
>> solution for a PR.
>>

> Actually, the kernel is installed fine, and is found in the user's kernel
> area. It is the installed Python code with "--user" that causes the issue.
> Maybe this is just a venv/setup interaction bug.

I see that distutils can use either a --user flag or a --prefix flag, but
not both at the same time. Adding a "prefix" kwarg option could also work
for install_kernel_spec, and would solve the problem that I am currently
running into with venv with --user.

Min and/or Thomas: does that sound like a viable option?

-Doug