[IPython-dev] Installing kernels and libs under a virtual env

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 14:28:30 EST 2014

Hi Doug,

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that if "python setup.py install --user" under a venv went to the
> virtual env's local, then everything would be fine. But maybe I'm doing
> something wrong (need to use pip?).

The issue is that the list of targets is hardcoded here:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/IPython/kernel/kernelspec.py#L21

that code isn't currently aware in any way of virtualenvs.

I'm fuzzy on the details of how we ended up deciding we'd interact with
venvs, other than saying that we'll try to bake as little knowledge of
'environment managers' (venv, conda, etc) directly into our kernel
installation tools directly.  That discussion has lots of subtly
interacting moving parts, and I'm afraid to say something misleading right
now.

Min and Thomas were deep in those details, and I'd wait for further
feedback from them (or anyone else who remembers well).  But in the
meantime, you may want to play with that code in a local copy: you may find
a minimally intrusive improvement for venv support that could be a good
solution for a PR.