[IPython-dev] Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

Cyrille Rossant cyrille.rossant at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 11:47:22 EST 2014

Hi Anton,

> * What are the best practices for keeping notebooks in git? We've
> found nbdiff, but it seems limited: for example it doesn't do anything
> to diff markdown cells. Is there a better way?

I am currently working on a solution that basically replaces JSON
.ipynb by regular Markdown .md. You loose all metadata and outputs,
but you keep Markdown cells and the input of code cells. It is still
highly experimental and unstable, you'll find the code here:
https://github.com/rossant/ipymd/tree/support-atlas -- let me know if
you're interested in trying it out or contributing.

> * What are the current options for creating rich graphic content that
> doesn't rely on having a live kernel? I know of mpld3, ipywidgets, and
> bokeh. For us ipywidgets seem like the best solution so far, but it's
> a pet project of Jake Vanderplas that didn't see any action in around
> half a year. So I wonder if there is anything more alive in that
> respect, that'd be great. Perhaps in v3?

I'm also very interested in this use case, but as far as I know
there's nothing ready yet... We plan to support this in VisPy, but we
haven't started to work on it yet.

I suppose you could work something out based on tmpnb.org -- you get a
temporary live kernel in the cloud launched just for you.

Cyrille