[IPython-dev] Using virtualenvs as kernels for Jupyter

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 13:34:04 EDT 2014

We looked into it and as far as we can tell, all the pieces we're providing
for the kernel spec should make it possible to have your kernel entry point
do the switching.

But we will NOT bake into the kernel spec direct knowledge of venv, conda
envs, or any other 'enviornment manager'. We want to make it *possible* do
declare kernels that are connected to environments, but as of yet, there
are just too many ways of 'managing environments' across languages and
toolchains for us to enshrine any particular approach into the spec itself.

As I say above, we looked into it, but we didn't actually implement
anything yet. So we'd encourage you to try things out, and report both with
what works (I'm sure others are interested) and what doesn't (so we can
help out or fix things if needed)

Cheers