[IPython-dev] Feasilibity of widgets/layout for mimicking this

hugadams hughesadam87 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 13:54:59 EDT 2014

(Please disregard if doublepost; having some subscription issues)

Hello,

We are developing a spectroscopy library and want to put in some interactive
plots/utilities to make the software a bit more approachable to novices.
I'd really like to build the entire interactive plotting interface through
the notebook's new widget system.  My reasoning is as follows:

   - All static plots are already matplotlib-based, so we wouldn't have to
write a seperate plotting api
   - Notebooks are inherently browser-ready, so sharing plots would be great
         - Is it likely that static nbviewer will eventually support
widgets?  Since the data is required, I figured not...
   - Our tutorials are already in notebooks, so we'd like to be consistent.

I've watched all the videos I can find from the widgets, and think I'm fine
with the Python end; however, am finding it hard to come by lots of
information on controlling the layout of the widgets.  I know it's mostly
done in javascript, and I think the most complex view we will have will look
something like this:

https://sites.google.com/site/shigemorita/home/2dshige

How much time would you estimate a javascript novice ought to spend on
getting something like that in the notebook?  Can anyone share tutorials for
the layout portion of the widget API?  Any information is helpful.  Lastly,
does anyone have any hacky ideas of how to bury the source code so that the
widgets merely display, rather than the user copy/pasting the widget source
into a cell?

Thanks