[IPython-dev] IPython Notebook in read-only mode

Clare Sloggett claresloggett at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 10:48:56 EDT 2014

Hi Antonio,

If you're in an office with people and you don't want to set up an actual
website, you could also just send them the html file, or put it in a file
sharing space in your office, or Dropbox. Even if your colleagues aren't
particularly techie, they only need to "open" the html file to display it a
browser.

But, a read-only mode for Notebook is something I've wanted too. The reason
is that IPython Notebook provides its own authentication mechanism, so
something can be at a public address, but still relatively private. And
it's trivial to get going, since Notebook runs a webserver for you.

Of course I can use another authentication system on the static html, like
Dropbox sharing, or set up a webserver with a password-protected area, but
it would be pretty nice if Notebook supported read-only access as fully as
it supports read/write access.

Cheers,
Clare