[IPython-dev] Mime type for IPython notebooks

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 14:55:00 EDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the dev meeting, we discussed what the mime type should be for IPython
> notebook files. The people in the meeting preferred
> *application/x-ipynb+json* (we also considered
> application/x-jupyter-notebook+json, and both of those without the +json
> suffix). Looking at the official mime type registry [1], +json and +xml are
> common suffixes to indicate container formats.
>
> Does anyone want to argue for a different mime type before we declare
> application/x-ipynb+json the victor?

Before you  wrote this, I would have guessed that the filename extensions
on notebooks would probably be changed to something more generic. Thinking
that you are going to also attach those 5 letters to the mime-type makes me
wonder. So, let me make a couple of points, and try to sway y'all in a more
generic naming scheme.

An aside, I think you could leave the +json off. The container indication
is useful on svg+xml to remind people that it is an image, and also xml.
Thus, many browsers can handle it directly. I don't think it makes sense on
a general format, unless you are considering adding application/...+xml (or
some other container format) at some point, too. Knowing that a format is
json doesn't get you much.

Jupyter will soon be the name that represents the big picture. Why wouldn't
the mime-type also represent the big picture? Also, there isn't any other
Jupyter file format, so why not just make it application/x-jupyter ? As for
file extension, consider the big picture, too. Maybe: .jnb, .jup, or even
.jupyter.

Anyway, thanks for asking for arguments; always willing to oblige :)

-Doug