[IPython-dev] changing working directory from IPython server

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 13:03:56 EDT 2014

On 11 August 2014 07:51, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't remember that we made the decision to have this behavior. It
> is possibly I just don't remember, but today I would consider that to
> be a bug. Mark, could you open a GitHub issue on this to trigger a
> discussion.

I'm pretty sure that what Mark describes is how we expect it to work - when
you upload a file, the server doesn't know where in your filesystem that
data is coming from, so it can't switch to that directory and use the
original notebook there, which I think is what Mark wants. The disconnect
is that the UI implicitly encourages uploading, although that doesn't
really make sense when you're running the server as a local application.

Thomas