[IPython-dev] Errors in ipython startup muted by Notebook?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 17:47:17 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Though we should also consider that not every kernel is launched from a
> visible terminal - users on the multiuser server won't be starting from a
> terminal, and now that I can double click on notebooks to open them, I'm
> often running the notebook without a terminal as well.

Can you see what these give in one of your fully headless kernels?

n [9]: sys.__stderr__.fileno()
Out[9]: 2

In [10]: sys.__stderr__.isatty()
Out[10]: True

In [11]: sys.__stderr__.closed
Out[11]: False

We should be able to detect when stderr isn't meaningfully attached to
anything, and at least redirect orphaned output to a dump log...

Cheers