[IPython-dev] Docker IPython

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 01:24:26 EDT 2014

> Question, do docker images have ways of pulling from multiple parents?

AFAIU, docker layers image filesystems. There is no notion of types or
interfaces identity.

* https://docs.docker.com/terms/layer/
* https://docs.docker.com/reference/builder/#from
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_mount
* http://www.projectatomic.io/docs/filesystems/ (a helpful overview)

> Base: ipython and its deps, installed using system packages or pip

* Pending a current PPA,
* I'd build with *current* pip.

> Base+SciPy: Base plus the extended scipy stack installed using system
> packages or pip

Package names:
* http://www.scipy.org/stackspec.html

Package versions:

* http://docs.continuum.io/anaconda/pkg-docs.html
* https://www.enthought.com/products/canopy/package-index/

> Base+R kernel
> Base+Julia kernel

AFAIK, these could be built as conda packages.

**MathJax**

Any chance we could get an `install_mathjax` in there?

Something like this:
https://gist.github.com/westurner/3265445#file-setup_pandas_notebook_deb-sh-L78

https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/ipython/notebook/dockerfile

--