[IPython-dev] Insecure loading of mathjax

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 1 18:03:58 EDT 2014

On 01.08.2014 23:40, Paul Ivanov wrote:
> Hi Julian, Kyle, and list,
>
> I just wanted to publicly thank Kyle again for following through
> with these and ensure that they get reported and communicated in
> the right manner. None of the other other IPython developers have
> any experience with disclosing security vulnerabilities to
> appropriate channels, and Kyle has stepped up entirely in a
> volunteer capacity to do this for the benefit of the community.
>
> Thanks to you as well, Julian, for bringing that CDN certificate
> issue to our attention. We need all the help we can get, and I
> my immediate reaction to reading "...making it quite
> pointless..." was that Kyle is getting the stick instead of a
> carrot for following through and doing a better job than we would
> have done without him (your point about reporting this back in
> 0.12 is an example of our previous lack of familiarity,
> appreciation, and engagement with security related issues).

I think it is great that Kyle is communicating the issues and helping
fixing issues. I did not intend to give "the stick" with my statement I
was referring to the situation back then, where I myself could have
probably handled the situation much better.

I too do not know very much about network security and how best to
report issues, though I can possibly help out contacting the
distribution security teams if needed.

The shared certificate is probably not a huge problem as the number of
AltNames for the mathjax certificate is quite small, but some googling
showed that this is indeed an attack vector:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2013/10/07/phishers-using-cloudflare-for-ssl.html

But I don't know if this is relevant enough to require any more actions
from IPython.