[IPython-dev] Change the "Ctrl+k" keyboard shortcut

darcamo at gmail.com darcamo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 21:07:59 EDT 2014

IPython 2.0 is awesome and I started using it even before the official
release. However, there is one thing that keeps biting me: the "Ctrl+k"
keyboard shortcut.

For me this is a very important browser shortcut that I use often and I
start using it some years ago. In Firefox it puts the cursor in the
search bar, while in Chrome it puts the cursor in the address bar, but
preceded by a "?" character to indicate that a search will be made.

The problem is that this shortcut is set in the notebook to move the
cell up. I'm often working in a notebook and then I want to search for
something in the Internet. Due to muscle memory I type Ctrl+k and start
typing but since the notebook captured this shortcut then all kinds of
weird stuff can happen with my notebook (due to me "writing" what I
wanted to search). In the end I can lose a lot of time fixing any
possible problems.

How can I change this shortcut (maybe to Ctrl+K)? I could not find the
correct way in http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/notebook/index.html

Does anyone else uses the "Ctrl+k" shortcut in the browser? Is changing
this particular shortcut in IPython (default configuration) a valid
option? I don't see any other shortcut in IPython that conflicts with an
important shortcut in the browser besides "Ctrl+k".

--
Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
darcamo at gmail.com