[IPython-dev] IPython Turtle Functionality

Nathan Cairns nwhcairns at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 16:45:55 EDT 2014

Hi everyone, over the past 2 months Nathan, Nic and Jake of the Aspidites
team have been working on IPython as a project for a 3rd year Computer
Science course. Our goal was to add turtle functionality to IPython using
an HTML canvas and Paper.js. We were able to meet our goal within the
semester and we're quite happy with the result. There are some bugs and
there's plenty of room for new features, but, we think it came out pretty
nicely in the end so we would like to share it with you guys. Below you
will find a link to our GitHub repository. Once you clone it to start it up
just run "python -m IPython notebook" from the command line in the
aspidites directory. Then start a new notebook with the following lines and
you'll see our turtle.

from NewTurtle import Turtle
t = Turtle()
t.forward(100)

Some of the other turtle commands we have are:

backward()
right()
left()
circle()