[IPython-dev] Interactive visualization in the IPython notebook 2.0

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Thu Apr 3 13:38:51 EDT 2014

I think it depends on how you think about your communication.  If your
thinking is data/state-oriented, the widget infrastructure makes a lot
of sense (you just set data values, and the widget infrastructure takes
care of syncing those values).  If your thinking is function-oriented,
then the lower-level Comm framework may work better---it's leaner and
doesn't have a lot of fluff.

For pythreejs, since we are basically providing proxy objects, it made a
lot of sense to adopt a state-oriented view and just sync all the
objects' states back and forth.

Thanks,

Jason