[IPython-dev] IPython 2.0.0 -- Firefox issues

Mark Voorhies mark.voorhies at ucsf.edu
Wed Apr 2 16:02:28 EDT 2014

Congratulations on the new release!

I'm trying out rel-2.0.0 and running into interesting issues on Firefox 28 on Ubuntu Precise:

* "ipython notebook" launches the dashboard in Firefox as expected
* "New notebook" creates a new notebook and opens a tab for it, but the page is blank and the notebook does not show up as "running"
* Opening an existing notebook or creating a new one in Chromium _does_ render the notebook and _does_ list it in the "running" tab
* Even after launching a notebook in Chromium, it still doesn't render in Firefox

Version details:

* I'm using IPython rel-2.0.0 and Tornado v3.2.0 from git (both installed via "python setup.py install --user")
* All other IPython dependencies should be current Ubuntu Precise versions
* Browsers are up-to-date from Ubuntu Precise:
mvoorhie at virgil:~/$ dpkg -l chromium-browser firefox
||/ Name                                      Version                                   Description
ii  chromium-browser                          33.0.1750.152-0ubuntu0.12.04.1~pkg879.1   Chromium browser
ii  firefox                                   28.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.04.1              Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
* Firefox has NoScript, allowing 127.0.0.1 (I see the same behavior when allowing scripts globally)

Thought I'd check the list for obvious fixes before opening an issue.

Thanks,

Mark