[IPython-dev] ipython with sync

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 17:24:09 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM, William Stein <wstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> You should have seen had bad the overall sync infrastructure was in
> May... I've fixed a lot of issues with it, but it's still not perfect
> in all cases, and I'm using some new features for the IPython stuff.
> Hopefully the above sort of race condition should be very rare.  If
> you can find anything reproducible, please let me know.

Will do. This looks great already, and I can see myself using it a lot.

> I just quickly wrote up a rough draft of a blog post, which I had
> planned to post at http://www.blogger.com, but evidently that
> (Google-owned) site is broken for login, for me at least.     So just
> see the 1-page "How It Works" section here:
>
>    http://wstein.org/tmp/2013-09-10-104600-ipython.html

Excellent, thanks for that info. Question: is your implementation pure
node.js?  And how interwoven is it with the rest of your server
architecture for cloudsage?

> It might be possible to do both, with the right design and hooks.   I
> know you guys like to really think things through carefully and get
> things right in a long-term general and flexible way.

Yes, for better or worse :)  But I'm very happy to be having this
conversation already. Even though real-time sync isn't on our
immediate todo path (we have our hands more than full with nbconvert
and our interactive JS api, obviously influenced by Sage's experiences
with @interact), it will be great to start thinking about this with
your experience and implementation already blazing the trail.