[IPython-dev] integrating with Cadabra computer algebra system

Gabriel Becker gmbecker at ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 25 14:11:41 EST 2013

I am not a core IPython developer, but if I understand you correctly what
you want is a Cadabra kernel.

Which kernel is used when running IPython dictates how code is handled.

The (AFAIK) up-to-date and authorative specification for the design of the
kernel architecture and what a kernel needs to accept and return is here:
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/development/messaging.html#messaging

Other than that,
this<http://nbviewer.ipython.org/4279371/node-kernel.ipynb>purports to
explain the construction of a new IPython kernel in the context
of node.js, but I am not the author and make no claims as to its
currentness or correctness:

There is also the IJulia kernel, which I believe was constructed by the
Julia folks in direct collaboration with (some part of) the IPython team:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/IJulia.jl

Hope that helps.
~G

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Kasper Peeters <kasper.peeters at phi-sci.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am the author of Cadabra, an open source computer algebra system for
> tensor computations in field theory,
>
>    http://cadabra.phi-sci.com/
>
> This system currently has its own notebook-based GUI and its own
> (restricted) programming language. I am considering switching the
> language to Python, and also thinking of using IPython for the GUI, to
> take some of the load off my shoulders.
>
> However, I would like the notebook interface to retain the capability of
> accepting pure Cadabra expressions into an input cell, and have those
> evaluated using Cadabra rather than Python. I know IPython has the
> ability to evaluate input cells which contain e.g. R code, but that
> always seems to require a magic '%' bit at the beginning of a cell.
>
> So my question: is there a good way to extend the functionality of the
> IPython notebook interface so that it allows me to set the input cell
> type to non-python in a graphical way (e.g. pick from a menu), or
> perhaps depending on some clever scanning of the input? If not, would
> you be open to patches from my end? Anyone else here having struggled
> with a similar problem? (e.g. to use the IPython interface to drive a
> different computer algebra system and not wanting to put '%'s all over
> the place?).
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Cheers,
> Kasper