[IPython-dev] Dependency on pyreadline

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 11:24:34 EST 2013

On Windows, the IPython documentation says that pyreadline is a
dependency. (From the website, "As indicated above, on Windows,
PyReadline is a *mandatory* dependency".) However, I have on occasion
seen problems with pyreadline, and it's not easy to disable it when
that happens.

So just to be clear - does anything in IPython *need* pyreadline?
Other than the obvious improved command line experience (although to
be honest, I find the basic Windows console behaviour fairly
acceptable, a readline-type solution is by no means as crucial as it
is on Unix).

I've used IPython in the past without pyreadline, and there's nothing
obvious broken.

Thanks,
Paul