[IPython-dev] implementing sympy plots with d3 in the notebook

Stefan Krastanov krastanov.stefan at gmail.com
Sat May 18 14:04:00 EDT 2013

Hello all,

If any of you have 5 minutes to tell us whether we are doing something
horribly wrong we would appreciate it.

Recently, I tried to extend the sympy plotting module so that we can plot
with d3.

A proof of concept can be seen here (sympy pull request, vega and d3):
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/2120

The 5 lines that deal with ipython are in `def show(self):`

A more hackish earlier version can be seen here (blog post, only d3):
http://blog.krastanov.org/2013/05/14/sympy-plots-with-d3-in-ipyhton/

What is the IPython team opinion? Should we wait a few months for somekind
of `_repr_json`?

Regards
Stefan