[IPython-dev] what goes wrong with %%file

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Sun May 12 19:51:26 EDT 2013

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 04:23:31PM -0700, Brian Granger wrote:
> It feels like we are trying to create a mini file editor in a notebook
> cell.  %%file and friends are not supposed to be that in any way.  I
> think %%file with prompting the user for overwrite is sufficient for
> this particular purpose = write and store simple files in the
> notebook.

We're not trying to make an editor.  We're just trying to figure out
what the ‘write to file’ magic should be called.  There's also already
an existing line magic called `%save` which, strangly enough, looks
like it does almost exactly the same thing as the cell magic `%%file`
;).  Consolidated naming (a la `%timeit` and `%%timeit`) is probably a
good idea.

Cheers,
Trevor