[IPython-dev] Printing HTML within IPython Notebook / IPython-specific prettyprint?

Jeffrey Tratner jtratner at gmail.com
Fri May 10 14:01:46 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I know that I can use IPython.core.display.HTML to format something such
that it outputs as HTML into the notebook. However, it appears to only work
if it's the output of a cell, e.g.

```
from IPython.core.display import HTML
html_text = HTML("<p style='font-weight: bold;'> Some text! </p>")
html_text
```

But I'd like to be able to output pretty printed HTML in the midst of a
function. Is it possible to get IPython to consider something as HTML
(instead of as plain text)?  I tried using `lib.pretty`, but that didn't
hook into it, and a plain print statemtn didn't work either.).

It would be great to be able to do something like

```
from __future__ import print_function
try:
    from IPython.somemodule import print_func
except ImportError:
    print_func = print
```

Does this exist now and/or is it planned for the future? If not, any
suggestions on how I might go about making this work?

Thanks,

Jeff