[IPython-dev] IPython Parallel Ports

Dave Hirschfeld dave.hirschfeld at gmail.com
Fri May 10 05:04:08 EDT 2013

In my ipcontroller-client.json file it appears that I've got 6 ports
defined:

{
  "control": <PORT1>,
  "task": <PORT2>,
  "notification": <PORT3>,
  "exec_key": "secret_code",
  "task_scheme": "leastload",
  "mux": <PORT4>,
  "iopub": <PORT5>,
  "ssh": "",
  "registration": <PORT6>,
  "interface": "tcp://ipaddress",
  "pack": "json",
  "unpack": "json",
  "location": "ipaddress"
}

The controller is running on the same grid as the engines but I need to
communicate with it from outside i.e. without opening a remote desktop on
the server to run my code.

I assume that some of these ports are only used for talking to the engines
and aren't required to be open to the outside world? If so, which ports do I
need to open so that I can talk to the controller from outside the closed
grid network?

Thanks,
Dave

NB: Reposting to ipython-dev as it seems my original never turned up on
ipython-user. Apologies if this turns up twice.