[IPython-dev] can't run ipython with profile

Zoltán Vörös zvoros at gmail.com
Thu May 2 04:52:42 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I am not entirely sure, whether  this problem is related to development,
but since the it occurred after I checked out the latest version from
github, I assume that to be the case. Whenever I try to run ipython with
a profile, the kernel refuses to start. (Without profile, everything
seems to be working.) Here is the traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/v923z/sandbox/ipython/dev/ipython/ipython.py", line 21,
in <module>
     from setupbase import check_for_submodules, update_submodules
   File "/home/v923z/sandbox/ipython/dev/ipython/setupbase.py", line 75,
in <module>
     execfile(pjoin('IPython','core','release.py'), globals())
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'IPython/core/release.py'

(By the way, the file release.py is on my system.)

During checkout, I got the following message:

OPTIONAL DEPENDENCIES
                 sphinx: 1.1.3
               pygments: 1.5
                   nose: Not found (required for running the test suite)
                pexpect: 2.4
                  pyzmq: 2.2.0.1
               readline: yes
running install
running build
running build_py
submodules missing! Run `setup.py submodule` and try again

and when I tried to run setup.py submodule, I ended up with this:

running submodule
git submodule init
Submodule 'components' () registered for path
'IPython/frontend/html/notebook/static/components'
git submodule update --recursive
submodules could not be checked out

I wonder whether this problem can be duplicated on other systems, and
what steps I should take to shoot the trouble.

Cheers,
Zoltán