[IPython-dev] [IPython-User] ANN: Exhibitionist - integrating HTML/JS UIs into interactive python work

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 14:37:09 EST 2013

This is really cool to see work like this happening.  Very nice!

I wanted to update you on the development situation with IPython that
may affect your code:

* We plan on starting to work on creating a nice architecture for
interactive JavaScript widgets, in late summer.
* This architecture will enable all of this to be done without any
additional server logic.
* Using additional server logic as you have done is not officially
supported.  What I mean by this is that the notebook architecture may
change in a way that makes it impossible to do this type of thing.
The problem is that you have made some strong assumptions about where
the notebook server, kernel and your server are running.  The
preferred way of getting data back and forth between python and the
broser is to use our message channels.  Currently these channels are
not sufficient for what you want to do, but after are work later this
year, they will be.
* Because of security issues are are moving away from the notebook
being able to execute dynamically generated javascript code.  We will
replace this with a javascript plugin system that is more secure.  You
will have to rewrite things when this happens.

Cheers,

Brian