[IPython-dev] MultipleInstanceError

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 22:21:31 EDT 2013

Indeed, way back when IPython made blunt assumptions about being more
or less in control of the user session, and created lots of global
state. That made sense when it was only an interactive user shell, but
now that it's a service to manage namespaces, its core should be much
more constrained in how it pollutes global structures.

Unfortunately as Thomas said, cleaning this up takes time and isn't at
the top of the priority list.