[IPython-dev] Efficient way to render Javascripts

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 12:45:08 EDT 2013

Le 15 juin 2013 à 18:23, Jason Moore a écrit :

> Brian,
>
> So it seems that for us to get some data from a python object into our javascript, we write the data to file on the fly so that a js cell can pull it in from the filesystem or we hard code the data into the js string. Is that the way it should be done with the current setup?

You can with javascript make a call to IPython.kernel.execute that take a code string as input and a callback to deal with the data received back. Or embed in the js string if you already know the data at publish time.

have a look at the following.
http://jakevdp.github.io/blog/2013/06/01/ipython-notebook-javascript-python-communication/

I suggest you have a look at user_expressions user_variables also in our doc.

> So we'd like the functionality for GET/POST in the notebook for our project. And I have one full time student that starts this week. What would be the best way for us to contribute some patches to jumpstart this on the ipython side?

We need to discuss what we want for js<-> python bidirectional communications. More than get/post, people might want to be able to
push data through web sockets.
There are already been drafts, which were not merge because we were not totally happy with it.
It is a complex subject, and I don't  think trying to tackle this is the right point to start.

Several people are interested in this, and we really think we must discuss to determine what are the needs
before trying to get any thing done.

For the next few weeks we are focusing on polishing things to release 1.0 mid July, after we will start
to do what is on 2.0 roadmap, this include javascript bidirectional communications.

--
Matthias

Roadmap.
http://ipython.org/roadmap-announcement.html