[IPython-dev] [ANN] IPython 1.0.0a1

Maximilian Albert maximilian.albert at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 07:49:50 EDT 2013

Hi all,

first of all, congratulations for getting the release candidate out
and thanks for everyone's amazing work and efforts!

Just a few minor issues/comments related to my first attempts playing
with the new nbconvert:

(i) When using the LaTeX converter on one of my sample notebooks and
running pdflatex on the resulting .tex file, it complained about a
missing file 'adjustbox.sty'. Obviously, fixing this is just a matter
of installing the 'adjustbox' package, but Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (which I'm
still using) doesn't provide this in any of its packages (however, as
of 12.10 it's included in the 'texlive-pictures' package). It is no
big deal to install 'adjustbox' manually from CTAN, but I guess some
users might appreciate not having to do that if there is an easy
workaround within nbconvert that avoids using this package.

(ii) I noticed that nbconvert creates a subdirectory called
'nbconvert_build' in which all output is placed. It took me a while to
figure out how to configure the output directory (namely, using the
option '--FilesWriter.build_directory', which was only mentioned when
I used the --help-all switch). Since I expect configuring the output
directory to be a common requirement, I'd suggest adding a simpler
command line switch such as '--output-dir', and also mention this in
the basic help text.

As a side note, without any options I would have expected the 'main'
output file (e.g., foo.tex when using the LaTeX converter) to be
placed in the same directory as the input .ipynb file and only
auxiliary files (images etc.) to be put in the 'nbconvert_build'
subdirectory - which I'd personally find a bit cleaner. No big deal,
though. (And I guess there are reasons for doing it the other way.)

(iii) I believe this was mentioned in a different thread already, but
I'd suggest renaming the format 'full_html' to 'html' as the latter is
much more intuitive to guess.

Thanks for your time and best wishes,
Max