[IPython-dev] Splitting inputs, cell inputs in an IPython client

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 13:03:03 EDT 2013

On 19 July 2013 17:38, Dino Viehland <dinov at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Or, option 2 we could send the text across the wire to IPython, and ask if
> IPython
> thinks that the input is complete.  That would allow IPython to be in
> charge, and if
> you evolve this behavior, or there's some way for users to provide their
> own line
> splitter, then we'd get the latest and greatest behavior.****
>
>  ** **
>
> I do intend to add this to the protocol, and make the Qt console use it.
> Part of the rationale is that we want to add a web console that's neatly
> integrated with the Notebook, and our current InputSplitter code can only
> be used by Python-based frontends.****
>
> *[Dino Viehland] Do you know when this will happen?  We can certainly do
> our own parsing for now and then switch over whenever this becomes
> available.*

I expect it will miss 1.0 now. I think a web console would be an important
addition to the notebook, so hopefully it will make the next release
(planned around Christmas time). But once I'm being paid to work on
IPython, it might depend on whether others agree with me about that being a
priority.

Thomas