[IPython-dev] Using upstart to start ipython notebook.

Jared Kibele jkibele at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 19:02:28 EDT 2013

Thanks for the replies. I set up my EC2 instance following this tutorial:
https://gist.github.com/iamatypeofwalrus/5183133 so I'm using the Anaconda
python package. Everything is fine when I ssh in and start up my notebook
server as the ubuntu user. I think the problem with my upstart config is
that it's not really running as the ubuntu user. Specifically, I think it's
not running the ubuntu user's .bashrc file and is therefore not getting the
Anaconda python stuck on to the front of the PATH variable. I thought that
the '-i' part of 'sudo -u ubuntu -i' in my upstart conf file was supposed
to make sure that happened but maybe not. Any thoughts on how I can make
sure that upstart is starting my server as ubuntu rather than root?

-Jared